Ah, Le Breton – a mainstay in every girl’s wardrobe. Reminiscent of sixties icons Jean Seberg, Francoise Hardy, Jane Birkin, the parallel lines of navy and white and that ever-flattering boat neck stay afloat during every runway season, but seem especially fresh and easy when the temperature starts to slowly drop. Originally a uniform for French sailors, the shirt was made stylish during Chanel’s 1917 nautical themed Resort show. Flash forward almost a century and the nautical trend is still making waves, showing up in many a Resort 2014 lookbook, with everyone from Chloe to Valentino to Rachel Zoe featuring stripes in navy and white, double-breasted blazers, and wide trousers, conjuring images of the navy circa wartime. These seafaring trends also made a more modern appearance, surfacing in cropped swingy tops, mini dresses, and heels in striped satin and rich navy velvet, perfect for navigating the tricky waters of transitional-season dressing.
1. Altuzarra Seth Double-Breasted Gabardine Blazer, $1,695, Net-A-Porter
2. Tanya Taylor Alexa Top, US $395, Shop Les Nouvelles
3. Bionda Castana Renee Striped Satin Pumps, US $725, Net-A-Porter
4. Hermoine Navy Velvet Flat, US $675, Tabitha Simmons
5. Whit Striped Top, US $288, Madewell
6. BDG Mod Stripe Mock-Neck Trapeze Dress, US $69, Urban Outfitters
7. Chloe, Resort 2014, Look 8, Vogue
8. Andy Dress, US $168, Sezane
9. Every Opportunity Pants, US $60, ModCloth
10. Rachel Zoe Resort 2014, Look 10, InStyle
By: Lisa Reddy
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs in NYC here.
Are you an employer? Post your New York fashion job here.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the latest fashion jobs, career advice and fashion trends!