When you spend winters (and “spring”) in the Northern Hemisphere, there may be no other word more beautiful than vacation – unless the word beach comes before that. But after spending six months (or more) swaddled in wool and thermal wear, a girl can be at a loss as to what to don when the plane touches down in the tropics, besides that new bikini. Instead of resorting to the same cut offs and beach cover-up, how about a pair of wide-legged draped pants or culottes, the season’s new take on shorts? Chloe, Thakoon, and J. W. Anderson all left their skinnies at home during the Resort 2014 shows, and the look is chic and unexpected, but easy enough to pull on with a crop top or light knitted sweater for breezy seaside evenings. For a more glamorous night out, step into a silky jumpsuit for a look that’s more Tulum than Studio 54. Room for more in your carry on? Sneak in some crocheted tops, dresses, and a wide-brimmed sunhat. And trust me on the sunhat.
1. Miguelina Etta Crochet-Paneled Linen Mini Dress, US $230, Net-A-Porter
2. Jack Rogers Liliana, US $128, Piper Lime
3. Botanical Crochet Top, US $25, Forever 21
4. Striped Wide Leg Pants, US $86, Pixie Market
5. Reeds Embroidered Romper, US $228, Free People
6. Rockhouse Hotel, Negril, Jamaica, Bless This Stuff
7. Jarlo Siobhan Maxi Dress, US $140, Nasty Gal
8. Beyonce, Refinery 29
9. Straw Field Hat, US $38, American Apparel
10. Ecote Pleated Wide-Leg Pant, US $69, Urban Outfitters
By: Lisa Reddy
Are you an employer? Post your New York fashion job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs in NYC here.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the latest fashion jobs, career advice and fashion trends!